September 14, 2012   Estate Planning

Naming a Guardian for Your Minor Child(ren)

If you have a minor child, you need to name someone to raise your child (a guardian) in the event that both parents should die before your child becomes an adult.  While the likelihood of that actually happening is slim, the consequences of not naming a guardian are great.   If you don’t name a guardian, a judge (a stranger who does not know you, your child, or your relatives) will decide who will raise your child without knowing whom you would have preferred.  You can’t assume the judge will automatically appoint your mother or sister to raise your children; anyone can ask to be considered and the judge will select the person he/she deems most appropriate.   If you have named a guardian in your will, the judge will still need to appoint the guardian, but wi...
Free Estate Planning Checklist

Free Estate Planning Webinar

Stay Updated

Stay updated by receiving updates to's free resources, latest topics, premium content, upcoming events and more!

Subscribe to Our E-Newsletter